Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lamb: the King of Meat

So, we were hanging with T at our friend's house and the question of what the best meat was came up. I threw out lamb, because I'm Greek and that's the stereotype. Also it's delicious. It came out that I'm the only one who could remember eating it, and so we decided that's what we would be cooking this week. Lamb chops.

I recently installed a new app for my iPod, Ziplist. It's a grocery list/recipe organizer that seems neat. So I used it to find a recipe for Greek Grilled Lamb Chops which seemed straight forward and it was. It was also delicious and everyone (as far as I can tell) agreed. I was pretty pleased with the meal.

Step 1- Marinate the lamb chops (4) in a cup of olive oil, 6 minced garlic cloves and a half cup of oregano for an hour and a half. Again, apparently we are stereotypical Greeks (neither Aly nor T are Greek). I cut the oregano down to an eighth cup and it was still tons, but didn't hurt the taste. I also forgot to marinate before T got there, so we only did that for 40ish min while we made the side dishes.

Step 2 - Grill on high for 6 min each side.

Step 3 - ????

Step 4 - Profit!

It was great. The recipe called for us to squeeze a quarter slice of lemon on each one but I tried it before doing that and preferred it that way. I think everyone else used less lemon.

We also found the mother -in-law's "biggest loser" cookbook and it had a sweet potato fry recipe in it. I clarify that it wasn't my book because after reading the rest of the recipes, it didn't have any others that were good, and this was just OK.

For the fries we sliced two sweet potatoes into fry shapes. I went short fries and cut the first potato in half, but T was offended, and so we did the other one really long. From here, we tossed them in 1 tbs of olive oil, some amount of garlic salt and very little Parmesan cheese. (And a pinch of cayenne pepper?). Then baked 8 min, flipped them and baked 12. End of the day, I'd bake them longer, and add more garlic salt/cheese. They were sort of bland, and not super hot like I'd like.


Aly made some horseradish and something or other dip to go with them. I think everyone agreed it was not bad, but weird with the fries. Like, I'd put this on a burger, but not my sweet potato fries. Maybe even normal fries.

Also what is "A pinch"? I just pinched the pile of spice and threw what I got into the pot, and it was very little. Is that correct?

-Jeff

--
New feature in the future: that mystery friend has expressed interest in doing a featured blog post every so often. Keep an eye out for a new author. (not T)

2 comments:

  1. Nice, I think lamb is a lot harder to do well than more common meats. You think it would be good with a cucumber-yogurt kind of sauce?
    I'm also curious if skinny sweet potato fries would work. I always see steak fries like that in restaurants, but I generally prefer shoestring for regular potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think yes on both accounts. The I think a gyro has yogurt in the sauce, so I'd imagine you could use it as a base for other sauces.

    Skinny sweet potato fries probably would work, but when cutting potatoes into fry shapes with a knife it gets old. So thicker fries win out.

    ReplyDelete