Sunday, August 17, 2014

Loaded Baked Potato Salad

Two years ago Jeff and I went to a friends' place for 4th of July, and they happened to have this magical potato salad from Costco that tasted like sunshine and rainbows. I think I ate my weight in potato salad that day.

I was dismayed to realize that since I do not have a Costco membership, I cannot acquire this potato salad on my own; luckily, I realized we live in a world with internet, so I used the Google to locate a copycat recipe! I actually now prefer to make this potato salad myself rather than try to make shifty deals with Costco members. I mean for the taste, not just because of the hassle and shiftiness of the other option.

I wasn't sure when, if ever, I might get to unveil my delicious potato salad discovery at a family event. I think there is a law of the universe that says every family must have that one member who is known as the Potato Salad Master, and he or she is the only one who may ever bring the potato salad. If I should dare to step on the toes of this sacred bearer of the family potato salad, I would be smoted. Unfortunately for me personally, I do not like the potato salad brought by my family's potato saint; I do not like onions and their salad to me tastes like onion salad with potatoes waved over it for effect.

Then I realized that this person is only on one side of my family, and we have plenty of gatherings on the other side, so I brought the potato salad, darn it! Make way for the new Potato Salad Master!


The pictures in the slideshow are of a batch I made for a family gathering with my in-laws earlier this summer. I'm trying to root myself in as the Potato Salad Master anywhere I can, and so far so good! For that batch, I got into a weird zone when chopping the potatoes and chopped them super tiny. I made this salad again yesterday and didn't go so nuts, and it was still awesome, so don't think you need to get neurotic with the chopping for it. Also, the original recipe includes green onions, and I admit that after having made the copy cat recipe without the green onions (because I don't like them) and trying the Costco again, now the original has too strong of an onion taste for me. As I mentioned before, I am pretty sensitive to onions in potato salad. I did meet the onion people part way by putting a teeny dash of onion powder into mine.

Another interesting fact about this potato salad: it is delicious on hot dogs. I admit I was tipsy when I first thought of this, but I have since tried it sober and it holds up. If you make this potato salad for a cookout and there are hot dogs around, try it. Bun and all.

A few notes about the ingredients I choose: I go anywhere between 2-3 lbs of potatoes, but keep the other measurements about the same. I also have started using that fully cooked bacon that comes in a box because it is at a perfect level of crispness without being charred or black. I use my Pampered Chef chopper (think Slap Chop) on it and get good little crumblies every time. I have used regular bacon though (as seen in the slideshow), but it was so much more of a pain because I couldn't get it cooked enough without it being burnt and sad, so my chopper didn't work and I had to try to chop itty bitty bacon pieces by hand. 

Original Copycat Recipe at No Ordinary Moments
Ingredients:
-3 lbs small red potatoes
-1/2 lb bacon
-1 1/2 cups sour cream
-1/2 cup mayonnaise
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp black pepper
-1/8 tsp garlic powder
-1/8 tsp onion powder
-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
-Wash potatoes and chop into 1/4" chunks
-Put potatoes in pot and fill with cold water covering potatoes by 1". Bring to boil on stove top and boil for 5 minutes or until knife goes through center of chunks with no resistance. Drain in colander when finished
-While potatoes are cooking, cook and/or chop bacon
-In large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, spices, and bacon
-Mix boiled potato chunks well into bowl mixture. Add shredded cheese and mix well
-Chill until ready to serve

No comments:

Post a Comment