Saturday, July 14, 2012

Baking Feature: S'mores Cupcakes Mk II

A coworker requested S'mores cupcakes for her birthday, but we decided to change up the recipe this time. We kept the graham crust, but this time I made chocolate cupcakes and then whipped up a marshmallow buttercream icing (which she'd used a few weeks before and told me about).

First of all, the chocolate cake was outstanding. It was Betty Crocker's Triple Fudge box mix, and it is my new favorite chocolate cake mix ever. I was eating it out of the mixing bowl with a spoon after I topped all the crusts I'd made.

The Marshmallow buttercream was a Rachael Ray recipe and I definitely changed it because this recipe made me gag a little when I read it. It calls for 4 full sticks of butter, some powdered sugar, some marshmallow fluff, and so little vanilla that it's silly that it's even mentioned (but I put it in anyway). I cut the recipe down by a stick of butter and used a total of three 7oz jars of marshmallow fluff (the recipe having called for one 16oz tub... but my grocery store doesn't sell tubs that big).


I also used my new super decorator to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, and it was really fun to use. They were a pretty big hit and I didn't have any trouble getting rid of them. Actually I needed to hide one to bring it home to Jeff.

-Aly

Recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 Tbsp butter
Chocolate cake mix (and ingredients needed by box)
3 sticks of butter (room temp)
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 7oz tubs of marshmallow fluff

Preheat oven to 350
Line muffin pans with paper liners
Mix graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and butter in a bowl
Spoon into paper liners and pack down to make crusts
Bake crusts for 5 minutes
Make cake batter according to instructions
Pour into liners on top of crusts and bake according to directions
Beat butter for icing in a large bowl until creamy
Beat in one-forth of confectioner sugar until fluffy; repeat with remaining sugar
Beat in the vanilla, then stir in the marshmallow fluff until well blended
Frost cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment