Friday, July 27, 2012

Lefty's Chicken

I was grocery shopping a few days back, and saw a package of Lefty's chicken and fish mix on the shelf. For whatever reason I grabbed it, thinking "Fried chicken might be fun".  http://www.amazon.com/Leftys-Fish-n-Chicken-Mix/dp/B003ETO4E2

We don't own a deep fryer, but I had some thoughts to get around that. I basically followed the recipe instructions on the back, except where they mentioned a deep fryer.

I used some chicken breasts and thighs we had, cut into chicken nugget sizes, and it worked really well. I mixed a cup of lefty's and two cups of water into a bowl. Then I dunked each nugget in and coated it. Then I coated it in a loaf pan filled with dry lefty's mix. Then I dumped the remainder of our vegetable oil into a big frying pan and cranked the temp to max. Dropped each one in, and fairly quickly the down side would brown. Flip them over, and let that side brown. Then they are done. It took a bit of eyeballing when they were done, and the first few were darker than I wanted.



They turned out great, and I will definitively buy this again. I'll get some pics up later. I didn't think to take any during the in-between steps, but I got some finished product.

Warning, the oil will splatter up and burn you. It's the price you pay.

2 comments:

  1. I watched some video of a southern guy who now allegedly makes the best fried chicken in NYC - he insisted a deep skillet with ~2" oil is better than a deep fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see its the way to make the Best Fried Chicken in NYC. Clearly I was on to something.

    Also of note, lefty's does not reheat well at all.

    ReplyDelete