Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I have a difficult relationship with Fall related foods. I like them, but I get furious that I start hearing about them so early in the year; if it's still an average of 80 degrees or more, Starbucks should hold off on the Pumpkin Spice Lattes. However, once the temperatures drop a little, I'm excited to partake of seasonal delicacies with gusto.

Typically to celebrate the season I will bake my cream filled pumpkin cupcakes (which I still expect to do this year, so there's an entry to look forward to), but for my sister's Halloween party she requested that I make Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.
Last Christmas I received a whoopie pie pan, so I thought I'd test that while I made them. Unfortunately, I've never made any other whoopie pies, so I have no point of comparison. But let's not let that stop me from talking about the pan method anyway:

1) The instructions on the pan say  to "fill the cavities 2/3 full." Have you seen a whoopie pie pan? Those cavities are about 1/8" deep. I challenge anyone here to pour in just enough batter to reach 2/3 full.

2) They're not kidding about the 2/3 full thing.

The recipe was supposed to make 15 whoopie pies, but apparently I overfilled my pan, so I only ended up with 12. Actually, that was kind of convenient for me because the pan makes 12 at a time, so I just filled it twice.


I tried not to put too much of the Marshmallow Spice Filling on the pies because I remember it going EVERYWHERE the last time I ate one, but I definitely didn't put enough. I did, however, have a giant bowl of the filling left over, so Jeff and I just starting eating it with spoons. It's astoundingly delicious and I need to find something else to do with it. Maybe just a fruit dip.

I'll let you know how that turns out if I ever try it.

Recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment