Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sweet & Sour Chicken

As previously mentioned, a lot of my renewed inspiration to start this blog back up was from Jessica of Crash Bang Kitchen. This recipe is one that I got from her blog (though it's originally from the food blog Made it, Ate it, Loved it). She brought it in to work one day and after sampling just a little bit of the sauce, I knew I wanted the recipe.

For authenticity, I referenced the original recipe while I made this. I will admit, it felt like it skipped a few important notes. For example, it never told me to preheat the oven. Obviously, if I read the recipe before diving in, I should be able to figure that out, but I just prefer a recipe that really lays it all out for you and makes it plain as day. This is also how I ended up with little chicken nubbins covered in cornstarch and egg goop waiting for the oil in my skillet to get hot. However, despite these little hiccups, it all still turned out.

Jessica had mentioned earlier that if I happened to have extra leftovers of this recipe and wanted to bring them in to work to share, she would be happy to help me prevent them from going to waste. So, with that in mind, I made a little more chicken than the recipe called for. I also used chicken breast tenderloins rather than chicken breasts, so the amount was difficult to judge, but the meat was pretty much the same once it was cut into pieces. Since I had more chicken, I also doubled the sauce recipe because Jeff and I agreed that we'd both rather have more sauce than not enough.

While I was making the chicken bits, Jeff set our new fancy steamer to work on some rice and broccoli. I definitely liked having the rice with this meal because it feels more like I ordered Chinese delivery. The broccoli will be a work in progress in the steamer. It was... less than desirable (unless you like broccoli that you don't have to chew).


Overall, I think this recipe was a big success and I would definitely make it again. Perhaps next time, to really seal that Chinese takeout feeling, I'll sprinkle it with sesame seeds when I flip the chicken.

Original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment