Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cheesesteaks

So tonight was cheesesteaks. T came over and we set to work. Aly had to take a rabbit to the vet for routine maintenance, and so it was just the two of us. T sliced a flank steak thin into strips while I chopped red/green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Threw them all together and cooked until onions were clear. Really all there was to it. We set some meat aside for Aly for later with no veggies.

Served the mix on some sandwich rolls, and it was pretty good. I went with pepper jack cheese, and T did swiss. When Aly got home I quickly cooked hers, and as she had no veggies it took minimal time. She went swiss as well.

Thoughts about the ordeal. Next time we will get much smaller rolls. These things were huge, and I actually ended up picking a lot of my bread off. Aly cut hers into thirds and didn't eat the middle third. We would also go 2lbs meat instead of 1.Xish. Once chopped and diced it really didn't go 3 ways. We would also do veggies first, let them get good and cooked, then throw the meat on. The veggies were still a little crispy. I also would like to find some way to melt the cheese, that isn't just "Microwave it" which was all I could think of. Thats seemed wrong, so I didn't do it.


We had some extra bread at the end so I whipped up some garlic bread real quick improvising a recipe based off memory and best guess. Toasted the bread on the pan from the cheesesteaks. Then melted some butter and dripped that over top and dashed some garlic powder on them. Aly grated some mozzarella and we covered them in that. Then, I put them back in the pan on low heat with the glass lid on it. I had picked this up when making grilled cheese. The glass lid helps keep heat in, and makes the whole thing crispy and lightly toasted, instead of burning the side touching the pan while not cooking the other at all like normal. I can make a pretty mean grilled cheese.

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment