Wednesday, March 28, 2012

French Toast

I'm kind of running out of ideas for breakfast night. Once we did waffles and pancakes, I figured I'll also do French Toast, and then I may have to get creative...

Anyway, I just looked up a quick recipe online. I went through a few because I know I had a friend who claimed to make the best french toast and said "the secret is using vanilla!" I didn't think it was such a big secret, but we were both drunk and making breakfast at about 2 am, so what did I know?

It turns out vanilla may be more secret than I thought, but it's not completely unheard of. I just made sure to use a recipe that did include it. I was intrigued, though, that my recipe listed the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla as "optional." If you don't use them, you dip the bread in milk, eggs, and salt (to taste). That sounds gross; please use at least some of these spices.


It turned out pretty tasty. I think this is a quick, easy recipe to hold on to for the future if friends stay over or I have extra bread to get rid of before it turns green.

-Aly

I absolutely can't find my recipe again online, so I'll just post it here without a link. If you recognize it, let me know and I'll include a link. I know I found it online and didn't make it up myself.

Ingredients
6 thick slices bread
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
salt to taste

Directions
Beat together egg, milk, salt, desired spices and vanilla.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle of skillet over medium-high flame.
Dunk each slice of bread in egg mixture, soaking both sides. Place in pan, and cook on both sides until golden. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment