Monday, March 12, 2012

Steak Night. Slight Hiccups.

So we tried steaks again tonight. Still getting closer to the idea. This time we got porterhouses from the Safeway, and was a little disappointed with the store. The only steaks they had were out and in the fridge zone pre-wrapped. I usually like to get them from the "butcher" meat counter guy. Feel like they are probably more fresh that way. They also only had one cut of steak, which seemed lacking for a meat counter.

We got the steaks Saturday, and kept them in the fridge till this afternoon when I got home. When Aly got home I started on them. While prepping I turn the stove top to highest and get the frying pan very hot. I typically try for 2 min on each side, flip once. This time however, as I put the first on, I realized the second wouldn't fit. Not even close. So while the first was going, I started my mental clock on it. Broke out a second, smaller, frying pan, and cranked the heat on the second burner. While dropping the second steak on, I notice it has that stupid piece of paper they put to separate it from the foam. I did not see one for the first (and the meat counter guy doesn't usually include it). Took a quick look, and realized it was under the steak (on the pan). Snagged it out, and we were good to go. Steak 1 is on its first min, Steak 2 is just started. I apply salt and pepper to both steaks. Steak 1 flips no problem. Steak 2 time to flip. I flip and the steak is still beat red. Typically at this point it should be nicely done and darkened. I flip anyway. Steak 1 comes off and is good to go. Steak 2 still has that red side, so I break my rule and flip again.

In the end both came out fine, Alys (steak 2) was a little raw for her, but still good. She got that one because it was smaller, not because I messed it up. From now on I might let her opt for a more well done one. While figuring stuff out I took away choice. Despite it all, they were still better than the other steaks I've done, even if this had more complications.


Some methods I have used in the past (through googling) are very similar, but include added steps like "Add lots of olive oil to the pan" or "Add lots of butter to the pan". Adding the olive oil gave it a weird taste. Wasn't bad, but wasn't steak. Adding lots of butter gave it a strong "movie theater popcorn" taste. Which was kind of weird. I then tried adding even just a little butter and it still has that popcorn taste.

To go with the steaks, Aly microwaved some frozen broccoli we had in the fridge. You can figure that out.

Ingredients:
-2 Steaks
-Salt
-Pepper

Instructions:
-Heat pan to hottest
-Place Steak on pan
-Cook 2 min (3 will give medium well)
-While cooking, salt and pepper heavilY
-Flip Steak
-Cook 2 min (3 for MW)


No comments:

Post a Comment