Saturday, March 24, 2012

Taco Pie

When I told a coworker about our schedule change and need for more meal ideas, she responded with "Ooh, you should make taco pie! The recipe's actually called 'Impossibly Easy Taco Pie,' and trust me, if I can make it, you can make it!"
I admit I was at least slightly insulted because I'd only said "I need ideas for what to eat," not "I need to eat, but food is hard!" However, I got over it because "taco pie" sounds delicious.

I found it on the Betty Crocker website and, when I saw the ingredients, I had to categorize this in my group of "foods I have no problem serving my family and enjoy myself, but would not ever make to impress anyone." It is definitely impossibly easy; it is seasoned ground beef, Bisquick, and some tomatoes and chiles, but the result is not going to make your snooty mother-in-law believe you have become a domestic goddess.

First off, I completely removed the tomatoes and chiles for ours because eeeeew. Jeff made up for this by topping his servings with salsa which I consider a completely satisfying compromise, but I don't like these things in my food, so I don't know if people who do would still find it lacking. I also cut all of the cooking times down by a minute or two because our oven cooks hot, but I haven't figured out by how much, so rather than decreasing the temp I've usually just made a point to decrease cook time. I think it was still in a little too long for the first time (before adding cheese) but it wasn't burnt, so that's fine.

 

The end result was very tasty. I added a dollop of sour cream to mine and, as I said, Jeff put salsa on his. We only had two small slices leftover even though it said it was supposed to feed six, so I think if you were feeding a group you'd need two pies, or some side dishes so they could handle smaller portions. I also am not totally sold on pouring Bisquick over ground beef as a meal. I guess I'd rather take a page out of Jeff's book and have more "from scratch" steps because the Bisquick definitely feels like a cop out. Maybe I'll try a variety next time that uses Jeff's biscuit recipe and his homemade taco seasoning.

Recipe from the Betty Crocker website

-Aly

No comments:

Post a Comment